General Description: This is a professional, supervisory position. The incumbent performs complex tasks related to payroll administration for the Hanover County government, Hanover County Public Schools, Pamunkey Regional Jail and Pamunkey Regional Library workforce.
Organization: The Payroll Manager reports to the Finance Division Director and supervises Payroll Analysts and/or administrative support staff.
· Manage the payroll function, including processing of payroll, payment and filing of payroll taxes, VRS reporting, quarterly and annual reporting and issuance of W-2's.
· Supervise and evaluate staff, including selection recommendations, training, assigning work, performance management, counseling and maintaining personnel records and forms.
· Provide assistance in audits related to payroll information.
· Stay abreast of federal and state legislation and other applicable guidance that affects payroll.
· Develop and maintain payroll processes, procedures and systems in compliance with federal and state laws and other applicable policies and regulations.
· Handle departmental and customer inquiries relating to payroll.
· Work closely with Human Resources to ensure accurate employee data (compensation, benefits, deductions, etc).
· Perform related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Specialized knowledge of payroll accounting and automated systems. Extensive computer skills with emphasis in advanced Excel functions. Considerable knowledge of state and federal regulations and guidelines concerning public personnel and payroll accounting. Ability to plan and manage projects independently. Must be able to establish and maintain successful relationships with staff and customers. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Education, Experience and Training: Bachelor's degree (concentration in business, accounting or public administration preferred) or comparable experience with at least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in related field, including a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience –OR– Any equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training sufficient to demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
Criminal record check, including fingerprinting.
· Work beyond normal work schedule.
· Twelve-month probationary period.
For more information or to apply for this position, please visit our career site at www.hanovercountyjobs.com. You can also reach out to Darla Ludwig-Bolton at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Salary - $65,000.00 - $90,000.00 Annually